Thursday, June 2, 2011

How do I remove the front driver side axle on my 2001 4wd dodge ram so i can change the universal joint?

I pulled the tire, caliber, and rotor. Unscrewed the hub lock nut. Now I can not get the hub to come off so I can pull the axle.How do I remove the front driver side axle on my 2001 4wd dodge ram so i can change the universal joint?Put the rotor back on attach it with 2 wheel nuts. Remove the 4 hub/bearing nuts. Put the hub nut back on nice and tight. Take a big pry bar (I use a 5 ft bar, no exageration, you need a lot of leverage). Place the bar between the rotor and the caliper mount and pry the hub will come out it will pull the axle with it. The hub nut can now be removed. The hub nut keeps the bearing from seperating when you pull it out. Good luck.How do I remove the front driver side axle on my 2001 4wd dodge ram so i can change the universal joint?When you say the 4 hub/bearing nuts, I had 3 through bolts that mount the wheel assembly to the hub mounting plate. Am i to remove these three bolts, they have a uniques head on them like a revers star. I had to use a 12 point 14mm socket to get them out. I just need to know if i am to pry the whole

Report Abuse

How do I remove the front driver side axle on my 2001 4wd dodge ram so i can change the universal joint?plate off of the wheel assembly. Or do I pry the hub/rotor only and when the hub spline is pryed out of the center the axle comes out with it? Thank you so much for your help and detail.

Report Abuse

How do I remove the front driver side axle on my 2001 4wd dodge ram so i can change the universal joint?Okay, I did some research. I was calling the %26quot;steering knuckle%26quot; the wheel assembly. I think i have all the info I need and will try first thing in the am. Thanks again for your help.

Report Abuse