Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Help! break pads AND rotors...how often do they need to be replaced?

I took my Jeep to get an oil change yesterday and the mechanic told me they noticed that my FRONT break pads were 85% worn, and the rotors will need to be replaced. They said I would need a break flush, my rear breaks cleaned, and completely new front pads %26amp; rotors.



Funny thing is, I had ALL FOUR of my break pads and rotors replaced 4 years ago. I paid a heck a lot of money for that job and I sure can't afford to replace the front ones right now! Are they just trying to get my money? Is 4 years typical for a new rotor and break pad service???



My brother works on Jeeps and has replaced his own breaks since he's owned Jeeps, and when he gets a chance he will take a look at them for me. But right now I wanted to ask a mechanic out there who can be honest with me. How did my rotors run down in less than 40k miles?



Can the rotors really wear down before the break pads completely wear down??? Or do the pads wear down first, then the rotors become affected?



I do stop a LOT going to school and work and a few times I had to break HARD to avoid a potential accident...so maybe my style of driving could affect it?



Please explain! thanks!Help! break pads AND rotors...how often do they need to be replaced?Brakes wear out with use, the pads are supposed to be the wear item but there are factors in rotor wear.

Four years doesn't sound bad as most drivers drive 12k miles a year.

You could pay your brother to do it much cheaper due to parts price mark up if he is willing.

Yes your braking habits make a big difference but by the sounds of things you are doing good (4years 48k miles).

Brakes are a part of life no pun intended.

Be glad your service shop is looking out for you by giving you the brake down before you have one :)Help! break pads AND rotors...how often do they need to be replaced?4 years out of a set of brakes isn't too bad. Brake life also depends on your driving habits (highway driving uses less brakes, and if you put the pedal to the metal between every stop light, you will wear them out quickly). Gearing down can help improve brake life if you have a manual transmission. My civic has 140K on it and I haven't replaced the brakes or rotors yet (mostly highway driving though).



You may have had cheap rotors (not very thick) put on your vehicle... if you pay extra you can buy thicker ones that can be resurfaced a couple of times).Help! break pads AND rotors...how often do they need to be replaced?Hi there.

If this guy was changing your oil and doing a grease job, how did he see all the problems with your brakes? I don't think he told you the truth, maybe just looking for extra work to make money. They do that a lot and that scam has been on TV a lot. Unless you pound on your car and do fast stops all the time and misuse your car, it should be a lot longer before you need brake work. My own observations have taught me this.Help! break pads AND rotors...how often do they need to be replaced?First off, forget the four years ago, heh heh. you are due for another brake job...unless the rotors are scored badly you should not have to replace them, just scuff them up a bit with sand paper. If the front pads are within 1/8th inch of the rotors, you need to replace them. Likewise, if the rear brake shoes are worn down within 1/8th inch you'll need them soon....Help! break pads AND rotors...how often do they need to be replaced?FOUR YEARS IS A LONG TIME most people get breaks done every 1 to 2 years. you are lucky. its expensive because of the labor and parts markup that's why I do my own brake's and it always cost me about 250 if I need pads and new rotors. Its cost me about 78 if I just need pads so its the parts markup and the labor cost is what drives up the price. Stopping short every once in a while is okay every body has to do it now and then. The rotors can be used over again they will out last the pads but if they are warped from heat than they need to be replaced. you can get 60K out of a set of rotors and drums. 40K miles is ALLOT for breaks I'm surprised they lasted that long.Help! break pads AND rotors...how often do they need to be replaced?Yes, your driving habits can definately affect your brake wear. Also the type of Jeep can too. A Cherokee with full time all wheel drive will eat brakes faster then a locking hub model. As for new rotors and fluid, this is questionable. A mechanic would need to measure (mic) the rotor thickness to see is they have enough metal left to resurface (turn) your current rotors. If there is, this should run no more than 20 bucks per rotor. Now just replace the pads and you are good to go. The fluid only needs to be replaced if it is dirty and/or moisture ridden. If this is the case, the fluid will be dark in color. Many mechanics will tell you that you need the whole system replaced to cover their bitts as well as make more money. All I can say is beware.Help! break pads AND rotors...how often do they need to be replaced?Generally, I have found that front brake pads last about 25,000 miles and the rotors should be okay unless the pads wore too far and scratched the rotors. If the rotors are warped, which you can tell as a pulsing when you apply the brakes, the rotors probably need to be replaced unless there is enough to machine. Today's rotors don't have a lot extra for machining. Rear brakes usually last about twice as long as the fronts. To get an idea what brake parts cost, call Autozone and ask for prices. Also, Autozone guarantees some brands of brake parts (including pads or shoes) for life. You can get new pads once a year. Of course you have to put them on or find someone who will.Help! break pads AND rotors...how often do they need to be replaced?you done real good if you got 4 years driving from it,and yes they do need to be replaced pretty often if you do a lot of stop and go driving,they probably wasn't lying to you about it,if you doubt them have another shop check it and see what they tell you,very often ,especially these days people doubt what a mechanic tells them because so many mechanics are ripping people off,the best way to avoid being ripped off is have it checked by another shop,good luck with it.Help! break pads AND rotors...how often do they need to be replaced?If the rotors are smooth and shiny they are OK.